- This event has passed.
The British Academy Book Prize for Global Cultural Understanding Shortlist Event 2023
October 30 @ 6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
Meet the authors shortlisted for the 2023 British Academy Book Prize for Global Cultural Understanding at this special in-person and online event organised in partnership with the London Review Bookshop.
Awarded annually since 2013, the British Academy’s £25,000 non-fiction book prize recognises work that searches for truth and reason in difficult places and shines a light on the connections and divisions that shape cultural identity worldwide.
Join the six shortlisted authors for an exploration of urgent and globally significant topics. This event will be chaired by the award-winning journalist Rosie Goldsmith.
Shortlisted authors and books:
- Tania Branigan, Red Memory: Living, Remembering and Forgetting China’s Cultural Revolution
- Nandini Das*, Courting India: England, Mughal India and the Origins of Empire
- Daniel Foliard, The Violence of Colonial Photography
- Kris Manjapra, Black Ghost of Empire: The Long Death of Slavery and the Failure of Emancipation
- Irene Vallejo, Papyrus: The Invention of Books in the Ancient World
- Dimitris Xygalatas, Ritual: How Seemingly Senseless Acts Make Life Worth Living
*Nandini Das will be present remotely at this event.
Chair: Rosie Goldsmith, Journalist and Broadcaster, Founder and Director of the European Literature Network.
*This is a hybrid event – this event will be streamed virtually on Vimeo.*
- October 30
6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
- Free, booking required
- Event Categories:
- Arts, Education, Free Events, Literature
- Event Tags:
- Arts, Education, Events In London, Free Events, Literature, Social Sciences and Humanities
London, SW1Y 5AH United Kingdom + Google Map 020 7969 5264
View Venue Website