- This event has passed.
The Burden of Hate: Bridging the divide in unforgiving times
September 13, 2018 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
The Forgiveness Project’s eighth Annual Lecture!
On the evening of Thursday, 13 September at the beautiful Tabernacle in London’s Notting Hill, we will be holding our eighth Annual Lecture.
We are delighted to welcome the American author, commentator and community organiser Sally Kohn to the UK. As a progressive commentator on Fox News and now CNN, Sally Kohn has made a career out of bridging intractable political differences and learning how to talk respectfully with people whose views she disagrees with passionately.
Sally Kohn will be exploring the epidemic of hate all around us – from internet trolls to school bullies, from racist chants to homophobia – and what we can do to repair our humanity.
Sally’s recent book, The Opposite of Hate: A Field Guide to Repairing Our Humanity, investigates the evolutionary and cultural roots of hate and how incivility can be a gateway to much worse. She talked with people from all around the world, including many of The Forgiveness Project’s storytellers – Bassam Aramin, Pardeep Kaleka, Tony McAleer and Arno Michaelis – drawing surprising lessons from people who left hate behind.
In confronting her own shameful moments, whether as a child bullying a classmate, or today when she harbours deep partisan resentment, Sally discovered, ‘The opposite of hate is the beautiful and powerful reality of how we are all fundamentally linked and equal as human beings. The opposite of hate is connection.’
Tickets: £22 (£12 concessions – low income)
Time: 19:00 – 21:00
Venue: The Tabernacle, 35 Powis Square, W11 2AY
Transport: Nearest underground stations: Notting Hill Gate or Westbourne Park
The Forgiveness Project is an award-winning charity working with real stories to explore how forgiveness, empathy and sharing stories can be used to break cycles of harm, transform relationships and restore hope.
- September 13, 2018
7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- £12 – £22
- Event Categories:
- Charity Events, Community Event, Conversation
- Event Tags:
- Cultural, Evolution, Homophobia, Humanity, Lectures, Panel discussion, Politics, Social Activism, Story Telling, Talks
Oct 1October 1 - October 1135 Powis Square
London, W11 2AY
Oct 1October 1 @ 10:00 am - October 30 @ 6:00 pm2nd Floor, 13 – 25 Church Street
LONDON, NW8 8DT
Oct 2October 2 @ 9:30 pm - October 3 @ 5:30 amKing’s Road
London, SW3 4LY United Kingdom
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)