- This event has passed.
Imperial Lates : Infectious
November 12, 2019 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
How tasty is your blood to mosquitos? What really happens in an outbreak? And can dogs diagnose disease?
Join us to debate, create and play at our adults only Imperial Lates evening. Get stuck in to creative workshops, games, exhibits, talks and chat to inspiring researchers about their fight against infectious diseases. From superbug inspired theatre and immune system origami to and state of the art diagnostics and an Infectious Arcade, you’ll never think of infection the same way again.
So grab a nerf gun, a drink and a friend to shoot down bacteria, get up close and personal with your gut microbiome, or risk it all at Red or Dead Roulette.
A little taster of the programme for Imperial Lates: Infectious:
– Jump into a ball pit of your gut and see how having more bacteria in your body might actually be a good thing!
– How tasty is your blood? There’s only one way to find out if mosquitos think you’re delicious! (*non-invasive!)
– Join the discussion of what really goes on in an infectious disease outbreak. How far is it from a zombie apocalypse or ambiguous news story?
– Explore how HTLV-1 survives as a squatter in your DNA – what do we know about this mysterious disease?
– Get absorbed in superbug inspired theatre Mrs X and take part in an after-show discussion with Imperial antimicrobial resistance researchers
– Fancy a free drink? Swap your unused antibiotics for a free drink at our Lates bar with Antibiotic Amnesty!
And don’t miss taking a risk in our Infectious Arcade:
· Virus Hustle – ever tried to cure a respiratory infection during a game of darts? Take aim and burst balloons of pseudomonas bacteria.
· Red or Dead Roulette – spin the wheel and bet on your fate. Who will survive the longest?
· Modern Medicine Jenga – how long can you keep Modern Medicine standing? When does it all come tumbling down?
· Pandemic Potential – some diseases are nastier than others, but in different ways. Compare the card characteristics and beat the pandemic!
Join us for a drink or two during an evening of discovery where you can bring out your inner child and have fun with our research.
Follow us on Twitter at @ImperialSpark or use #ImperialLates for the latest additions to the Lates line-up.