- This event has passed.
Imperial Lates: Future Commuter
February 13, 2020 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Full speed ahead to Imperial Lates: Future Commuter
Ever wondered what the future of transport might hold? Well, now is your chance to navigate the twists and turns of travel with our experts…
If you’ve ever experienced the joys of the London commute or worried about the carbon footprint of a summer getaway, you may have wondered what the future of transport might deliver. Whiz over to Imperial in February to meet the scientists and engineers exploring the probabilities of our future mobility.
‘Smart and Green’ is the new ‘Fast and Furious’, so it’s time to get excited about formula racing, the power of policies, water fuelled cars, the role of robots and computers, and a chance to express yourself with our very own roaming poet!
Future Commuter is the latest in Imperial College London’s series of after-hours evenings of discovery. During these evening celebrations of science and engineering our academics, students and staff bring different themes to life for one night only through live demonstrations, arty workshops, interactive experiments and inspiring talks.
A teaser of the programme for Imperial Lates: Future Commuter:
– Shell Eco Marathon Vehicle – get a preview the ultra-efficient battery electric vehicle entering the Shell Eco Marathon competition this year
– Cycling London in VR – Get pedalling in our VR experience and banish your fear of cycling for good
– Do you trust me? Take the test and discover how much you trust computers. When does convenience becomes over-reliance?
– Come fly with us – launch your paper aeroplane at our map of the world, take a guess at the CO2 emissions of your flight and reveal your carbon footprint!
– Detecting drowsy drivers – test drive the wearable tech that tells you how tired you are on the road
– Roaming poet – Dan Simpson – be part of creating poems inspired by your thoughts and feelings around travel
– Go with the flow – Explore the beauty of fluid dynamics with experimental drawing
And don’t miss our driverless debate…
Are driverless cars a good idea?
Far from being a feat of science fiction, driverless cars are here and on our roads. In this discussion, we’ll examine them from social, psychological, safety, security and health perspectives. What do you think? Join the discussion with experts from Imperial College London and TfL.
Our panel for the evening includes Dr Nejra Van Zalk, Dr Panagiotis Angeloudis, Dr Audrey de Nazelle, and TFL’s Becky Upfold.
Pre-registration is required to attend this debate. Details on how to register will be emailed to you once you have signed up.
So, join us for a drink or two during an evening of discovery where you can explore the possibilities of the future and have fun with our research.
Follow us on Twitter at @ImperialSpark or use #ImperialLates for the latest additions to the Lates line-up.