Drury Lane is Minimum Labyrinth’s new guided walking tour for 2021.
Robert Kingham (presenter of Pagan London) explores the rich cultural history of one of London’s most colourful, creative and dangerous quarters. Squalor, crime, politics and plague provide the scenery for a teeming cast of rakes and poets, actors and gamblers, playwrights and pickpockets.
Freemasons and highwaymen, engravers and compositors, gunpowder plotters and pornographers, butchers and beadles, judges and jail-breakers, suffragettes and whores, in a story that stretches from Anglo-Saxon settlers on the shores of the Thames to the starched pomp of the British Empire.
We promise you a bawdy, boozy bacchanal, bursting with everything you have come to expect from master storytellers Minimum Labyrinth: obscure factlets, dramatic sweeps of history, dark mysteriousness, musical protrusions and theatrical surprises.
- On Mondays to Saturdays, the walk begins in The White Hart pub, 191 Drury Lane WC2B 5QD.
- On Sundays, the walk begins in The Craft Beer Co. pub, 168 High Holborn WC1V 7AA.
- On lunch dates (see below), the walk begins in the Drury 188-189 café, 188-189 Drury Lane WC2B 5QD.
- We will make two further stops for a drink along the route and end at a fourth pub in the same area.
On three dates, we will stop on the walk for a relaxed and highly convivial lunch at the wondrous Sarastro restaurant between 12.30 pm and 2.30 pm.
- On Saturday 31 July and Thursday 5 August, we have booked the Tenor menu (two courses £18.95, three courses £22.95).
- On Sunday 25 July we have booked the more sumptuous Set menu (two courses £32.95, three courses £36.95).
We will ask you for your orders the week before the event. Lunch is not included in the ticket price, and you will need to pay the restaurant direct on the day.
On the non-lunch dates, we will stop at Sarastro for a half-hour drink.
- Are there ID or minimum age requirements to enter the event? We suggest that this event is not suitable for under-16s. The tour contains strong language and adult content.
- Is the walk Covid-safe? The walk takes place entirely outdoors. Numbers will be limited to 20 maximum to enable continued social distancing. Within the pub and restaurant stops, we will comply with the guidance in place at the time.
- Is the walk suitable for wheelchairs? Yes. The route is nearly all flat. There are a few areas where steps will pose a mild challenge, and the pubs have variable accessibility, but you will have a large group with you who are always delighted to help surmount any challenges.
- Can I bring my well-behaved dog? Yes, for the dates without a lunch stop.
- What are my transport/parking options for getting to and from the event? The starting venues are a short walk from Tottenham Court Road, Holborn and Covent Garden Stations, and buses 1, 8, 19, 38, 55 and 98.
- What’s the refund policy? Tickets refundable 30 days before the event. Please be reassured that if Covid prevents this event from taking place, you will receive a full refund.
- Do I have to bring my printed ticket to the event? You can show it electronically.
- Can I update my registration information? Yes.
- Is my registration fee or ticket transferrable? Yes.
- Is it ok if the name on my ticket or registration doesn’t match the person who attends? Yes.